By The Printing for Less Team
In a world dominated by digital, the allure of receiving physical mail still sparks a sense of excitement and importance to consumers – even younger, digital native generations report they value receiving direct mail.
However, within this realm of physical mail, there’s a choice to be made: traditional direct mail or the USPS Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) service?
Let’s dive into the nuances of each to help you make an informed decision tailored to your unique business needs.
Traditional Direct Mail: A Personal Touch
What is Direct Mail?
Direct mail involves sending physical marketing materials directly to a targeted audience via postal mail. It includes items like postcards, coupon mailers, flyers, catalogs, and personalized letters.
- Tangibility: Physical materials create a lasting impression, standing out in a digital world.
- Personalization: Tailor your message to specific demographics, ensuring relevance and adding a touch of authenticity.
- Highly Targeted: Reach a specific audience based on location, preferences, and behaviors.
- Quality Design: Eye-catching visuals, compelling copy, and a clear call to action are essential.
- Accurate Mailing List: You will need a mailing list or address list to send traditional direct mail.
- Postage Costs: Factor in postage expenses when budgeting for your direct mail campaign.
USPS Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM): Broad Reach, Local Impact
What is Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM)?
Every Door Direct Mail is a service offered by the USPS that allows businesses to target specific neighborhoods without the need for a specific mailing list. It simplifies the process of reaching local audiences and offers a lower cost than traditional direct mail.
- Send to Every Address in a Defined Local Area: Target specific zip codes, neighborhoods, or mail carrier routes without needing your own mailing or address list.
- Cost-Effective: Since EDDM does not require a mailing list, you can save on your campaign costs. EDDM can also cost less than regular direct mail.
- Simplified Process: No need for addresses; just choose your targeted area with handy tools like our Instant EDDM Route Selector, and we’ll handle the rest.
- Proper Bundling: Ensure your mail pieces are bundled correctly according to USPS guidelines.
- EDDM Retail Indicia: Use the approved indicia for EDDM retail rates.
- Size and Weight Restrictions: Adhere to size and weight limitations specified by the USPS.
If these requirements sound intimidating, don’t worry, we can handle them all for you. Printing for Less is a USPS partner and has all the necessary templates and requirements to make your EDDM campaign a success.
Making the Right Choice for Your Business
In the end, the choice between traditional direct mail and EDDM depends on your marketing goals and desired outcomes. If you seek a personal touch with a highly targeted approach, traditional direct mail may be the ideal fit. However, if your aim is broad local exposure on a budget, EDDM offers a simplified solution.
Assess your business objectives, audience preferences, and budget constraints to determine the strategy that aligns best with your unique needs. Whichever path you choose, direct mail remains a powerful tool in your marketing arsenal, bringing your brand directly to the doorsteps of your potential customers.
How Printing for Less Can Assist
Navigating the intricacies of postal marketing is made easier with the support of Printing for Less. We provide expertise in understanding the ins and outs of EDDM and offer guidance on designing impactful mailers. For direct mail, our team can assist in building targeted contact lists, ensuring your campaigns are tailored to the right people and get there are the right time.
If you’re ready to harness the marketing power of postal services, reach out to us. Whether you need assistance with Every Door Direct Mail, direct mail, or both, we’re here to ensure your campaigns make a lasting impression.
Interested in direct mail for your business?